The applicant for adoption, whether Brazilian or foreign resident in Brazil, should go to the Childhood and Youth Court of his domicile and, if there is no specialized court, to the local Forum, where he will be attended by the competent Technical Sector, in order to start the procedure to be accompanied by the following documents:
- ID card;
- Social Security Number;
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable) or proof of common-law marriage;
- Birth certificate if single;
- Proof of address;
- Proof of income;
- Certificate of physical and mental health;
- Criminal records;
- Civil records;
- Recent photos;
- Other documents that the judicial authority considers pertinent.
OBS: The documents must be presented in original or certified photocopy.
SOME LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTION:
- Over 18 (eighteen), whatever their marital status.
- There must be a difference of 16 (sixteen) years between the adopter and the adopted.
- Grandparents and siblings of adopted.
Can be adopted
- All children or adolescents up to 18 (eighteen) years old incomplete, who are qualified in the CNA – National Adoption Registry;
- Over 18 (eighteen) years old (art. 1.623, Brazilian Civil Code).
- The adopted over 12 (twelve) years old must agree to the adoption.
- Even the adopted being under 12 (twelve) years old, according to his age, can and should be heard about the adoption.
- Adoption guarantees equal rights and duties, except for marital impediments.
- Guarantees full inheritance rights.